Baker Consultants provides high-resolution aerial video and photography data capture and analysis, with in-house qualified pilots. This time-efficient and affordable survey technique collects high quality images which can be analysed to produce GIS maps and/or 3D models. The flexibility of this survey approach provides clients with data for applications such as engineering, renewable energy, residential and mixed-use development projects. Ecological applications include supporting Phase 1 Habitat surveys, invasive species surveys, habitat monitoring and bat roost inspections. The aerial photographs and video recorded can also be used as promotional material for development projects, engaging consultees in presentations, websites or social media.
ADVANTAGES OF UAVs:
The increased affordability of remote sensing technology has readily allowed the application of UAV surveys to provide many advantages for projects including:
- Capturing high-resolution data (<1cm resolution at 30m flight height), available as video footage or photography;
- Data analysis to create GIS maps and/or 3D models using ‘Structure-from-Motion’ (SfM) photogrammetry to provide surface and canopy data;
- Surveys are flexible to clients’ needs and time efficient as UAVs can quickly cover large areas, increasing affordability for projects requiring a suite of surveys and/or that are large-scale;
- UAVs provide an effective and flexible survey approach as digitised data is stored long-term to feed into monitoring projects, or data can be re-analysed if the project scope changes; and
- The repeatability of the survey method has long-term benefits for projects in terms of project progress reports, habitat monitoring or updating habitat reports.
APPLICATION OF UAV SURVEY TECHNIQUES:
Baker Consultants experience in UAV flight, GIS techniques and ecological surveys enables us to provide a unique service to capture the aerial imagery from a site as well as provide digitised ecological habitat maps for use within Phase 1 Habitat Surveys and Species Surveys. Aerial imagery can also be very valuable for: Habitat Monitoring (including assessing the success of Habitat Creation and Translocation), Forestry and River Assessments and Invasive Species Monitoring.
UAVs can also aid the monitoring of progress on construction sites. Furthermore, we are able to process the aerial imagery to produce highly detailed 3D surface models to help visualise sites for use within the planning process. Similarly, images and video footage make excellent promotional material for clients for their sites under development.
UAV surveys can also be applied to protected species surveys. For example, we can undertake ecological surveys such as Bat Roost Inspections or Bird Surveys in locations where working at height might make surveying costly or unsafe.
HIGH-DEFINITION AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND PHOTOGRAMMETRY
Our aerial video and photography service provides a Ground Sampling Distance (GSD) of less than 1cm at 30m flight height. This high-resolution imagery is combined with accurate GPS positioning to create 3D Digital Surface Models (DSM) using ‘Structure-from-Motion’ (SfM) photogrammetry to provide surface and canopy data.
Baker Consultants have considerable experience of processing large quantities of data quickly and accurately to provide comprehensive site assessments. As part of our quality control process we also ensure data is manually checked if automated data processing is used, and analysis is also rigorously peer-reviewed.
Contact us to discuss how we can apply our innovative remote sensing surveying techniques to your project.
Background video: Elemental Footage